United Airlines, headquartered in Chicago, Illinois, is one of the oldest and major US airlines. With the third-largest fleet globally, it operates a vast domestic and international network, notably in the Asia-Pacific region. United Airlines provides attractive discounts and limited-time deals for budget-conscious travelers to enjoy their journeys.
United Airlines Reservation Policies
Reservations with United Airlines are flexible and easy to use. Travelers have three options for booking their flights: over the phone, at ticket offices, or online via the official website or mobile app. The company provides a range of fare options, such as Basic Economy, Economy, and premium cabins, enabling patrons to select the appropriate service level. Online reservation management, flight modifications, and upgrade options are also convenient features offered by United Airlines. With the airline’s 24-hour reservation guarantee, customers can cancel their reservation and receive a full refund up to 24 hours after making their purchase. They also provide MileagePlus and other loyalty programs that reward and benefit frequent travelers.
United Airlines Check-in Policies
Check-in is available 24 hours prior to departure. You can check with a United agent at the airport or the Travel-Ready Center to see if you need a visa for a particular destination.
- To check in, visit united.com.
- Put in your last name and confirmation or eTicket number.
- Use the details from your MileagePlus® account to log in.
- When traveling abroad, check in after having your passport scanned.
On the App
- Get the United app open.
- Enter your last name, eTicket number, and confirmation when you choose to check in.
- You can use the app to scan your passport if you are traveling abroad.
At the airport
- Go to a kiosk to check your bags and print your boarding pass or talk to a representative at the United check-in desk.
- Use the bag drop shortcut to bypass the line. When checking in, first check a bag online or through the United app. After that, drop your bag in the designated bag drop shortcut area, and an agent will tag it.
United Airlines Baggage Policies
United Airlines Carry-On Baggage Rules:
- Passengers are allowed one personal item and one carry-on bag without fees.
- Carry-on bag dimensions: 56x36x23 cm (22x14x9 inches), including wheels and handles.
- Personal item dimensions: 41x28x20 cm (16x11x8 inches).
- Personal items should fit under the seat or in the overhead bin.
- Certain items (diaper bag, duty-free items, etc.) don’t count as carry-on baggage.
- Bulkhead seats have no under-seat storage.
United Airlines Checked Baggage Rules:
- Economy class allows two checked bags (fees apply).
- Maximum checked bag dimensions: 157 cm (62 inches) in length, width, and height.
- Maximum weight: 23 kg (50 pounds).
4. United Minor Policies
- Brief your child on security checks, United Airlines check-in, and finding the boarding gate.
- Encourage them to rely on United staff guidance throughout the journey.
- Ensure your child’s electronic devices are fully charged since charging may not be available at the boarding area.
- Suggest packing games, books, or activities for in-flight entertainment.
- Accompany your child, arriving 1 hour before domestic flights and 3 hours before international flights.
- Remember that check-in must be done at the airport counter; online check-in isn’t available for unaccompanied minors.
- After check-in, parents/guardians receive a gate pass to accompany the child through security.
- Your child gets one complimentary menu item of their choice. Extra meals can be purchased, and packed food and snacks are allowed.
- Valid identification (e.g., passport or government-issued ID) for each minor traveler.
- Proof of age (birth certificate) for minors.
- Consent letter from absent parent(s) or legal guardian(s) if traveling without both.
- Completion of specific forms for unaccompanied minors.
- Additional travel documents like visas may be needed for international trips.
Perks of the Program:
- Safe and enjoyable travel experience for children aged 5 to 14, with an option for those aged 15 to 17.
- Complimentary snacks and refreshments provided.
- Priority boarding for convenience.
- United Airlines unaccompanied minor fee applies. Details can be obtained from the airline.
United Airlines Flight Cancellation Policies
United Airlines Cancellation and Refund Policy
- International Flights: Mostly 3 hours before departure.
- Domestic Flights: Mostly 2 hours before departure.
Penalties and Exceptions:
- Cancellation fees vary based on fare type, cabin class, and fare rules.
- Basic Economy tickets are non-refundable and non-changeable beyond 24 hours.
- No-shows may result in full ticket forfeiture, depending on fare rules.
- No cancellation fee during United Airlines-initiated flight cancellations.
- The death of a traveler, companion, or immediate family member waives the cancellation fee.
United 24-Hour Cancellation:
- Full refund within 24 hours of purchase (except Basic Economy fares purchased over 7 days before the travel date).
- Beyond 24 hours, a $200 cancellation fee applies to refundable fares.
- Online: Log in, enter booking reference, and select ‘cancel flight.’
- Phone: Call customer service, provide details, and pay cancellation fees.
- Airport: Cancel at the airport counter up to 3 hours before departure.
Redeeming United Travel eCredit:
- Use the provided eCredit code on the website to book future flights.
Missed, Delayed, or Canceled Flights:
- Weather, delays, and cancellations may qualify for travel credits or refunds.
- Connecting flight passengers can return to their origin if no suitable options are available.
Compensation for Denied Boarding:
- Compensation based on notice and re-routing options.
- Basic Economy tickets are refundable within 24 hours.
- Refunds for eligible fares with applicable fees.
- Ticket validity is typically 12 months (exceptions apply).
- Credit card refunds within seven business days.
Requesting a Refund:
- Complete the refund form, select refundable items, and provide contact information.
- Refunds processed to the original payment method or as electronic travel certificates.
Note: This summary provides key points from the United Airlines cancellation and refund policies, and it is subject to change. For detailed and up-to-date information, please refer to the airline’s official website.
United Airlines Flight Change Policies
United Airlines Flight Change Policy
- You can reschedule any flight ticket at no additional cost within 24 hours of purchase.
- Changes to your itinerary within the United States and Canada are free of charge (except in Basic Economy).
- It is possible to exchange basic economy fares for a one-year travel credit by canceling them.
- You can switch flights more than once, but each time you will have to pay the difference in fare.
- You will be given a future flight credit if your new flight is less expensive.
- There are no change fees for US-originating award tickets in Economy or Premium Economy.
- A reservation made through a travel agency requires the use of travel credits from that same agency.
- There are no longer standby fees for earlier flights on the same day.
- Members of MileagePlus Premier are entitled to a complimentary flight change.
- Flight change fees for groups
United Airlines Flight Change within 24 Hours
Within 24 hours of purchase, you can change your United Airlines flight. It must be a United-operated flight, and no change fee applies, though fare differences may occur. This policy covers all ticket types except Basic Economy.
Changing a United Airlines Flight:
- Online Changes:
To modify your United Airlines flight online, log in to your account on united.com, go to “My trips,” enter your confirmation number and last name, select the flight segment you want to change, and then choose from options like altering the date, time, destination, adding or removing a flight segment. Follow the prompts to confirm your updated itinerary. You’ll receive a confirmation email.
- Phone Changes:
Alternatively, call United Airlines customer service to make changes to your flight over the phone. Depending on your ticket type, change fees and fare differences may apply.
United Airlines Schedule Changes:
United Airlines publishes its flight schedule 11 months in advance, but occasionally, schedule modifications occur. These changes could involve altered departure or arrival times, frequency adjustments, route additions or removals, and aircraft type changes. If significant adjustments disrupt your travel plans, you can request a refund or a ticket price difference if they can’t accommodate you in the same cabin class.
Rescheduling Due to Schedule Changes:
If your flight’s schedule changes, you can choose a complementary alternative flight on a UA or Express flight departing from the same place within 24 hours of your original travel. Simply find your flight in “My Trips” and select another.
United Same Day Flight Change Policy:
United’s same-day change policy is quite flexible. You can request a same-day change 24 hours before your intended departure. The new flight must leave within 24 hours of your request and can depart the day before or after your original flight. You can add or remove a segment, but the origin and destination airports must remain the same. If you check bags, make changes at least 60 minutes before your new flight’s departure.
United Name Correction policies
United Airlines has revamped its name-change policy to simplify the process for passengers needing to update their reservations. The airline is committed to providing seamless travel arrangements and minimizing inconveniences for its customers.
To correct a misspelled name on a United Airlines ticket, the following conditions apply:
- The flight must be operated exclusively by United Airlines.
- Name corrections are not allowed after completing the check-in process.
- Only one name correction is permitted per United Airlines flight.
- Minor name corrections during travel are allowed if the name matches the government-issued photo ID exactly.
- Date of birth and gender changes are not permitted, except for minor corrections due to booking errors.
Supporting documents for a name change request typically include a government-issued ID (e.g., passport or driver’s license), a Marriage Certificate or Divorce Decree for name changes due to marital status, and possibly a court order for legal name changes. Minors and unaccompanied minors may have additional document requirements.
Requesting a Name Change:
Name changes on your MileagePlus account can be initiated by updating your account profile with supporting documents for significant changes.
Accepted Name Change Requests:
United Airlines generally accepts name change requests for misspelled names, corrections from nicknames to legal names, inverted names, adding middle names, adding additional last names, and legal name changes due to marriage, divorce, or adoption. Fare differences and name change fees may apply.
Name Change Fee:
The name change fee varies based on the type of correction.
8. United Airlines Flight Delay Policies
United Airlines has policies in place to address flight delays. These policies vary depending on the reason for the delay.
- Weather Delays: United offers accommodations if your flight is delayed due to weather. However, they do not provide compensation for expenses like meals and lodging.
- Mechanical Delays: If a delay is caused by a mechanical issue, United will make efforts to re-accommodate passengers on another flight. They may provide meal vouchers or hotel accommodations, depending on the length of the delay.
- Air Traffic Control Delays: In cases of air traffic control delays, United will work to rebook passengers on the next available flight. Compensation for expenses may be offered.
- Delays within United’s Control: If a delay is due to factors within United’s control, such as crew scheduling issues, they may provide compensation and rebooking options.
Passengers should check United’s official website or contact the airline directly for the most up-to-date information on their specific delay policies.
United Airlines Missed Flight Policies
United Airlines has a missed flight policy that varies depending on the type of ticket you purchased and the circumstances of your missed flight. Generally, if you miss your flight, United may offer the option to rebook on the next available flight, subject to availability, and you may be charged a fee for this service. If you miss a flight due to circumstances beyond your control, like a delayed connecting flight, United may assist in rebooking without additional fees. However, if you miss your flight due to your negligence or arriving late at the gate, you may not be entitled to any rebooking or refund. It’s essential to check your specific ticket’s terms and conditions, as they can affect the policies regarding missed flights. United Airlines’ customer service representatives can provide more detailed information and assistance based on your situation.
SkyWest Pet Policy
Pet Carrier Requirements:
- Pets are not limited in weight or breed.
- Pets need to travel in carriers with either soft or hard sides.
- Under the seat in front of you, the carrier must fit.
- One pet per carrier, please.
- Pets need to be able to turn around and stand up inside.
- An exception is made for service animals.
- Maximum measurements for hard-sided carriers are 12″ high, 17.5″ long, and 7.5″ wide.
- Max dimensions for soft-sided carriers are 11″ high, 18″ long, and 11″ wide.
Preparing for the Journey:
Check country-specific regulations and gather necessary paperwork and vaccination proof.
Booking Pet Tickets:
- On United.com, choose “Travel with a pet” when making reservations.
- Via My Trips, add a pet to an already-existing trip.
- There is a $125 per way fee to travel with your pet.
- Layovers longer than four hours (U.S.) or twenty-four hours (international) will incur an additional $125 fee.
- These costs cannot be covered by travel credits.
Pet-Friendly Travel Kit:
- Pack essentials for caring for your pet at the airport.
- Items may include a collapsible water bowl, leash, treats, and plastic bags.
- Familiar items like a favorite toy, blanket, or pillow can help keep your pet calm during the flight.
At the Airport:
- Check in at the ticket counter with both your and your pet’s confirmation numbers.
- Receive a special bag tag for your pet’s carrier.
- Use the United app to find pet relief areas in many airports.
On the Plane:
- Your pet must stay in their carrier with the door closed under your seat.
- They need to be able to stand up and turn around while in their carrier.
United Airlines Covid Policy
In most U.S. airports and on domestic flights, masks are not required. Verify the mask requirements of the destination country if your flight is international.